Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Child's Eyes

The girls and I were listening to Ethiopian music today, during one of our dance parties, and images of the musicians were pictured while the songs were playing. My middle daughter, Lilly Jane, commented how one of the artists looked just like one of our family friends. The family friend I am referring to is white, while of course the Ethiopian singer was black. The funny thing is at closer inspection he did look very similar to our friend.

I love seeing things through the eyes of a child. To them the color of someone's skin is irrelevant. It is just another trait like blonde hair versus red hair, blue eyes versus brown eyes, or being short versus being tall. My prayer is that as my children get older they will maintain this same viewpoint, that skin color won't matter to them. Of course they will see color, we all do just like we notice if someone is short or tall, but it shouldn't effect how we view someone or how we treat them. I pray that having a little brother who has a different color skin will help them to view people in that manner and that not only will they be able to see beyond race but beyond social status, intelligence, etc. I want them to learn to love all people which is what Jesus himself commanded of us. 

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35

We are all created in God's image, each and everyone one of us no matter how different we are and we are all worthy to be loved. 

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27

God loves us exactly how we are and we need to learn to do the same. I pray that as our family becomes multiracial in the near future that we will help to break down some of the racial barriers in our community. That our children will learn to treat all people with love and that we will show others how to do the same. This is just one of the many things I am excited about as we move forward with our adoption process! 

...and of course I can't post anything without including a few pictures of the kids....









No comments:

Post a Comment